Monday, June 9, 2014

DDK R-146 Saddle Review

Initial thoughts on: DDK R-146 Saddle
By : Chris Sontag

Packaging:  No packing was provided
Installation:  This saddle has carbon rails and requires a torque wrench to install it so the carbon is not crushed. Before this saddle I was using a specialized romin pro. I noticed that this saddle has a smaller gap to the seat rail than my previous saddle (figure 1). This smaller gap made it difficult to put the top of the seatpost clamp on the seat rails. It was achieved in only a slightly longer amount of time. The seat rails were slightly tacky, so I opted not to use carbon assembly paste to see how it faired without modification.
First Use: The saddle has an almost identical curved shape to my specialized romin pro (figure 2), so I concluded that the saddle should work fairly well for me. The DDK R-146 saddle has some gel insert padding which is more than my previous saddle (figure 3). Also instead of a cut out in the saddle the majority of the interior of the saddle consists of a soft gel. When you look at the bottom you see that the shell of the saddle is only on the perimeter of the saddle, allowing the soft gel to deform beyond the shell (figure 4).
                  The first ride I found the saddle very cushy. As a road cyclist I prefer a stiff saddle. With the saddle moving each time I pedal I found it not as comfortable as it could be. The saddle was not uncomfortable, but over longer riders I feel that a stiffer saddle would be superior. I also found that having a cut out in the middle of the saddle works better for my body geometry. I will keep riding the saddle, and will see how it progresses, and breaks in.
Feedback:  I think that removing a lot of the excess padding would help the saddle be more comfortable for serious cyclists. I also feel that having a central cut out, will increase comfort.

Figure 1 Visual difference in saddle rail height                    

Figure 1

                                                                                

Figure 2 DDK saddle and Specialized Romin Pro
Figure 2


           Figure 3 DDK R-146 top             



  Figure 4 DDK R-146 bottom

                          
                   

No comments:

Post a Comment